Overarching aim: To reduce variation in outcomes and improve experience of care for women and their babies in London
- Co-Clinical Director: Professor Donald Peebles, Professor of Fetal Medicine, University College London
- Co-Clinical Director: Philippa Cox, Consultant Midwife, Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Network Lead: Emily Webster
- Senior Project Manager: Michaela Adeniji
- Project Manager Felicity Ballin
- Project Manager Jennifer Mwangi
Clinical leadership group – Link to CLG page
intrapartum quality standards review
The London Maternity Clinical Network would like to gain feedback on refreshed Maternity Clinical Quality Standards.
The Intrapartum Quality Standards were developed by the London Maternity Clinical Network during 2013-2014, supported by commentary from the London Clinical Senate.
They standards have been well established and recognised by commissioners and providers across London. However, since their production Royal College guidance has been updated, national audits introduced and the policy context for maternity has changed.
Please see the below documents:
Intrapartum Quality Standards engagement paper – Provides background and rationale for new standards
Implementing BEST practice across the maternity network
The Maternity CN have produced a number of best practice toolkits to assist provider units and commissioners to share learning from other units and improve maternity services across London. All of the toolkits are evidence-based and include case studies to provide examples of successful implementation.
To date the toolkits produced are:
- Full suite of toolkits
- Continuity of midwife care
- Outpatient induction of labour in low risk women
- Midwifery led units
- Maternity experience workshop
- Postpartum haemorrhage
- Reducing stillbirth through improved detection of fetal growth restriction
- Reducing stillbirth through improved detection of fetal growth restriction: Briefing sheet to support the implementation of the GAP programme in London
- Fetal fibronectin testing
- Fetal monitoring, competency and assessment toolkit
- Maternity PPI case studies booklet
Film: Improving maternity experience across NHS services
The SCN aims to improve user experience across all maternity services. This four minute film explores the pregnancy journey from the perspective of the woman and her family — their thoughts, feelings, concerns and joy.
The purpose is to promote understanding of the perspectives of others, challenge assumptions, harness empathy and compassion and improve professional practice. A training pack also accompanies the film for use at local training events and workshops.
The London Maternity Network has always relied on the contributions of a wide range of midwives, obstetricians, neonatologists, GPs, commissioners, managers, AHPs, and most importantly the users of maternity services to shape and drive improvements in our services.
We are now accepting expressions of interest for those working in London’s maternity services to help improve services by joining the Network as part of our Clinical Leadership Group, working groups or Maternity Voice Partnership support.
- Clinical Leadership Group– The CLG is the clinical community driving forwards improvements and overseeing the other working groups of the networks – Download the application.
- Maternity CN working groups– These provide the skill and knowledge on focused areas of work from experts working in key areas of care. Working groups include the below. Download the application.
- Maternal morbidity and mortality– Learning from maternal deaths in London
- Perinatal morbidity and mortality– Supporting the implementation of stillbirth care bundle, in-utero transfer toolkit
- Maternity choice and digital– Supporting the development of a website outlining the local maternity offer in each area
- Postnatal care– Improvements to postnatal care, particularly around discharge information and planning
- London Maternity Voice Partnership support– Download the application.
National Maternity Review published 23rd February 2016